Monday, October 10, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving - Just call me Martha

Hello friends! What a beautiful Thanksgiving weekend this was...highs near the 30's and pure sun - couldn't ask for better weather.

We hosted Thanksgiving dinner at our place this year for the first time! We had a few friends over since our families are in Ottawa and we didn't make the trip back.

I litterally felt like Martha Stewart - cook cook cook, clean, cook! I definitely think we succeeded in our first Thanksgiving feast (even made turkey soup today!).  Here's my weekend in food:
Stuffing is probably my favourite thing about turkey dinner...the Mr. was worried we wouldn't have enough bread but I think once it was cut we both saw the huge amount we had to work with!

Yes, I still put the stuffing IN the turkey. In my mind it's the only way. (PS - we had the PERFECT amount of stuffing for the 7kg turkey we had!)

All cooked up! YUMM

I made the pumpkin pie on Saturday night to save time. I am not sure what caused the crack in the middle (slightly over cooked??) but it tasted delicious. Our guests brought 2 pies from Yitz's deli here in Toronto and they were top notch!

Remember how I posted on Saturday about how to decorate your table for Thanksgiving? Well, as I was setting my table, it dawned on me how much room you have to leave for the good stuff - aka food. So, I kept it really simple with some tall candleholders and gourds:


The dinner was very fun, and delicious! Everything went really well and we were happy to have such great company for our first hosted Thanksgiving dinner. To top off the weekend, I made cinnamon buns for this morning:

This is how they look out of the oven...then you flip them over and you get:


Yummy.

Just to clarify, we hit the gym on Sunday morning and went for a long bike ride today in the Don Valley- definitely had to be active with all that food!

Hope all of you in Canada had a nice weekend! FYI...my posting might be a bit light this week, it's a short week so bound to be busy at work and I'm out of the office on training Thursday and Friday. Have a good week everyone!

12 comments:

Ashley said...

wow looks like you had a busy weekend in the kitchen! we have yet to roast a turkey ever. we had two thanksgiving dinners (but only one turkey dinner). your pumpkin pie looks delicious!

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

Amazing feast!! You most definitely get the martha title for that! I've always wanted to host my own Thanksgiving feast, but we normally go to inlaws or my parents. I'm hoping this year will be my chance.

Verdigris Vie said...

my belly is aching after eating so much this weekend, I still found the strength to drool over thie deliciousness..

Anonymous said...

looks delish! nice work!

Kerry said...

YUM!! Great work lady!! I feel huge after this weekend... between the wedding and Thanksgiving, I almost feel pregnant again! haha

christine, just bella said...

whoa, Martha!! Everything looks amazing - you MUST have been busy!!

Amelia @ House Pretty said...

Those cinnamon buns look AMAZING - glad to hear your first Thanksgiving as host was a success :)

The Vintique Object said...

That's a good lookin' first turkey you made there!
Regarding the crack, my pumpkin pies always do that. I just cover it with whipped cream. ;0

amy walters, aDESIGNdock said...

Wow...you went all out. Beautiful and delicious. Love.

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Home true about the food on the table. All those pretty photos we see don't really seem to acknowledge that there's no place for food. Looks fantastic!!

Linds said...

that looks soooo delicious!! especially the cinnamon bun, wow! drooling just a little over here

Lynne knowlton said...

wow !!! I am now craving pumpkin pie and cinnamon buns....tell me your recipes !!!!:)))) yum yum.
Big blog love,
Lynne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...