Thursday, July 18, 2013

2013 Goal Update

Since we're in July and now officially halfway through 2013, I thought I would check in on my Big Hairy Audacious goals that I set in January.  Yes, wayyyy back in January (doesn't it feel like ages ago?). Here's an update on my goals:

1. Finish the Living Room
Status: hmmmm not so different from January. I had big pillow goals, and my mom made fantastic pillow covers....however I (or my pregnancy brain) gave her the wrong dimensions. I needed 2 18x18 and 2 20x20 and I asked for 2 18x18 and 2 16x16. Woops. No wonder there was so much extra fabric left over. Does anyone need 16x16 navy and white pillow covers? Oh, and we are STILL SEARCHING for a coffee table that is "airy" but not glass.

2. Flooring
Status: This is HAPPENING, we ordered the floor yesterday. And it has to happen in August so it's done pre-baby. We decided to only re-do the flooring on the main floor, but it will be great to have consistent flooring throughout the main floor (currently we have carpet, bad quality cherry hardwood, and peach tile. Do you see why we don't love it?). We want to go with a medium stain on the hardwood and I love seeing grain so we are looking for oak floors. I still want tile for the entry way and the kitchen (I like the practicality of tile over hardwood), so I'm on the look out for options. I was thinking charcoal tile in a 3x12 to mimic hardwood planks, the colour along these lines, but with darker grout:
deep gray porcelain tiles from Marazzi - MARAZZI Porfido 12 in. x 6 in. Charcoal Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/MARAZZI-Porfido-12-in-x-6-in-Charcoal-Porcelain-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-UJ56/202072420#.UZLgXaLbO8A.  $3.99/sq ft
 via

The only thing I am not sure of is if every little water drop will show on the charcoal tile (and thereby drive me crazy). Thoughts?

3. Bathroom Reno
Status: DONE!! This one actually happened, and it was a big one (you can see the full reveal here). We've even hung a towel bar and towel hooks since I did my reveal. We couldn't love this bathroom more. I would say this was the biggest "reno" that we've done in the house, and adding 20" to the bathroom was the smartest move we could have done. I love how everything turned out and am still amazed and how airy it feels (and how the 20" we stole from the guest room pretty much makes NO difference over there, and every difference in the bathroom).

4. First Sundays
Status: This was my plan for the first Sunday of every month, to ensure it didn't include running around to Costco or doing a million errands. It worked pretty well the first few months, but then as it got nicer outside we got busier, and we had some projects on the go so it's fizzled.

One goal that we didn't list at the time was Project Baby. Consider this Goal #5, with the least wiggle room out of all the goals. I'll do another post about how we're fairing in that regard and what progress we've made on the baby room (hint: not much).

How are your 2013 goals coming along? Do you check in with them part way through the year, or is it more of a new year's resolution that gets lost by the time summer comes around? I hope everyone is coping (or loving??) this heat that is finally here - it's summer folks :)

5 comments:

Country Chic said...

We have charcoal tile in one of our bathrooms, it does show a bit of water spots but because it's such a small space I don't really notice it much and also we don't spend all of our time in there! You can see the picture on my page under "First Home Tour" here http://www.countrychicrenovator.com/p/first-home-tour.html or for an easier link to the picture on pinterest here http://pinterest.com/pin/118430665174019901/ as you can see in the picture you can actually see some water spots and that's even after I cleaned it! So definitely something to think about. Maybe buy a sample tile and take it home and let some water sit on it to test it out. Also, Home Depot has some great tiles in the those colour choices at good prices. That is where we purchased that above tile! Hope that helps!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

What about this http://www.cb2.com/peekaboo-clear-coffee-table/f699 for the coffee table?

GOOD LUCK on your list!!

Amelia said...

We have the peekaboo coffee table and love it, but it is a little low, so definitely check the measurements! It's nice around little heads too - no sharp corners!

Carol @ The Bright Box said...

Hey, I think you've done pretty damn well on your list. When is the little bundle due? Such a smart idea to get the floors done now. It won't be long until your floors are lost under a pile of baby bouncy things and toys scattered everywhere:)

Unknown said...

I've been pretty terrible at my goals this year. Not even sure I posted any! You on the other hand are doing pretty great! Congrats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...